Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I did it!

 


Conditions at 5:30 am: 10' and sunny
Expected later: 13' and mix of sun and cloud

Well, I did it! I drove my bike to work yesterday for the first time. I went in via the highway in the morning. It was okay but you have to drive at quite a speed to keep up with the traffic. I did find that a little unnerving. But when I got to town and traveled on the by-pass it wasn't so intimidating as it's two lanes. If the guy behind you wants to go faster he can just pull out around. That felt much more comfortable. When it was time to come home I took the by-pass all the way around to the Hillsborough Bridge and came up through Fort Augustus. That was much better. Once you passed Mermaid there was very little traffic. I think that will be my route of choice for both directions from now on.

I still need work on my turning and on my starting from a stopped position ie lights and stop signs. I chatted with Brenda last night and she admits that those are areas she also is a little less than confident in. She thinks, and I agree, that a little more work in the school parking lot might be a good idea for  both of us. Perhaps one evening this week might work but we'll see. The weather is looking a little iffy for the rest of the week and they are in the midst of planting right now so we may have to wait till the weekend.

I have the yellow and black one
I thought about riding again today but it's only 10' and the high is only going to 13' so I think I'll pass this morning. There will be lots of nice days over the next three months. I wasn't busy yesterday at all, so had lots of time to do other 'stuff'. I did some shopping around and found a carrier for the back of my bike. It's the bright yellow one. It was the only colour they had but it fits perfectly and will actually hold quite a bit of stuff. It also came with a cover that fits neatly over it, in the event I'm ever riding in the rain.(I can guarantee it won't be on purpose!)

Wilbur was impressed that I rode my bike to work and he went up to the parking lot and brought it down for me so he could see how the carrier attached. Now Abbey has a scooter, I have a bike and Pam also now has a scooter. Tyler came by my desk yesterday and saw the helmet sitting on the chair, and he looked at me and asked "Do you ride a bike?" When I replied that I did, he said "All the girls are getting bikes" I told him it was going to be tough to keep up with us girls!

Speaking of girls, I received something in the mail yesterday that you don't see too often anymore - a letter from a friend! Cheryl and I met in college and stayed friends over the years. She had written to me when I moved here and we want to make sure we don't lose that connection after so long. It was really nice to hear from her and she mentioned that she keeps up with my via this blog. That makes me really happy because it's nice to know someone is interested enough to check once in a while and see what you're up to.

Well, I'd best be off and get ready for work as I'm a little behind schedule this morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment