Friday, June 24, 2011

 

Conditions at 5:30 am: 7' and partly cloudy
Expected later: sun and a few clouds and 18'

What a treat yesterday to see the sun for the whole day. Since Lloyd had the car I went for a walk at lunch.I went up to the BMR hardware store and they have some really interesting things in their giftware section for decorating your house. They are quite decently priced and some are quite unusual. Then I stopped at the Habitat store and picked up a few books as I'm running out of things to read. I also found an interesting old wooden planter for outside. So I called Lloyd to pick it up on his way to get me after work. Now I just need some dirt and some plants.

When we got home, we worked together to make supper. Lloyd's been watching what he eats, and I can notice that he has lost some weight. We enjoyed a spinach salad, some pan fried fish, boiled baby potatoes tossed in brown butter and chives and steamed veggies. Dessert was pound cake later on at the small hall.

Due to a change in circumstances, we ended up going with Richard and Daralen to the storytellers evening. What a great time. Roy Johnstone is a brilliant fiddler and David Weale is always entertaining. Our corner was specially responsive when he told a story about something that happened when he lived in Fort Augustus, and  he mentioned Dave Wakelins store and something said by Jerry Kelly. Needless to say, our corner responded much more enthusiastically than the joke warranted. But it was a great time.  The host for the evening was actually filling in and he was a musician from some of the other shows. His name was Rik Barron and he told us he live in Vermont but it turns out he's originally from St. John's so he and Lloyd had quite a discussion after about what schools they went to, etc.

I'd never been inside the McPhail Homestead and it's quite lovely. I walked in and immediately said "I could totally live in this house". It's precisely the old style of house that  I love. It just made me want to get rid of anything modern in my house (okay, not the kitchen) and re-do the whole thing. While that's not practical, I may start looking for the odd old piece that I can re-purpose for other things that are more modern.



Yesterday Lloyd had a chance to get Richard up and running but didn't have the same luck with the VanGaals. He will re-visit that situation again as he has a new plan. He won't be content until he's solved the problem. He also had a chance to work on his bike so he thinks he's also solved that problem. Hopefully he'll have it up and running soon. Likely won't be this week as today's Friday and he still has to get it inspected, licensed and insured, so that will, in all likelihood, have to wait till at least Monday.

I remembered the name of the new place going in downtown - it's called Liquid Gold so I looked it up and it seems there's one in Halifax. It appears that it might be a chain of some sort. It will be interesting to see how well they do - Charlottetown doesn't seem quite the place for something so unique and specialized, but who knows - it just might work. Check it out.

http://www.allthingsolive.ca/

1 comment:

  1. Hi Island Grandma!

    My name is Lee - and I am the son of Bill McArthur, the husband of Myrna the owner of Liquid Gold. It has been really fun watching their business take off since they launched their store in Halifax in October last year.

    It's like everything else in life - once you have a taste of something better, its really hard to go backwards! I am a coffee snob, and I find it really hard to go back to Maxwell's, as an example. I can't, no I WONT do it!

    The store has done so well in Halifax that people from all over have been asking them to open a store closer to their home. Charlottetown has been a real culinary center for some time, and one our favorite places to spend our summers.

    In fact I married a girl from Oyster Bed Bridge just last summer!

    Myrna and Dad are really excited about this store in Charlottetown and spending more time in such a beautiful place. Make sure you pop in and see them sometime - they open this week.

    If you are into food in the slightest, then you will love the experience of shopping /eating there. Picture rows upon rows of the worlds freshest oils and vins, all ready and waiting for you to taste! The most fun is combining your favorite oils and vins together - people spend hours doing it in Halifax!

    I hope to get over to see the store in August perhaps!

    Have a great day,

    Lee

    ReplyDelete