Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The first day of summer?

 

Conditions at 5:30 am: 8' and overcast
Expected later: 12' and overcast
The calendar says it's the first day of summer but that can't be - we haven't had spring yet!  Perhaps we are just going to go straight to the warm weather. But this mornings temperature isn't a great start. I've been hoping to do some walking at lunch hours but it's just too darned cold.But as Brenda and I chatted about last night, at least we're not being flooded out and losing our homes or anything scary like that so we really have nothing to complain about - but we will anyway!

Last night we went over to the garden centre in Montague. Brenda picked up a bunch of flowers for her pots and around the garden while I picked up some herbs. I haven't gone out and looked for herbs yet this year so it was nice to be able to pick  some up.I will attempt to get those into the ground tonight. I haven't got any plants yet for my flower bed in the front. I still need to dig it up a bit more and then smooth it all over and ready to plant. My big issue is I'm not sure what to put in so I've been doing some reading about which plants would be best suited there.That side of the house will just get morning sun so I need plants that don't need lots of sun.

Two happy musicians
I got an email from Patti on the Sunday. They had a little fun competition at the kids music school. Meghan won first prize for her piano playing and James won third prize for his guitar. Well done, kids! It's a nice way to give them incentive to keep working and practicing. It's too bad they don't have the opportunities to see and hear all the wonderful musicians we have here on the island. The young people we saw at the school fund raiser were really good and it would be fabulous for the kids to see other really talented kids. That would be a great inspiration for them. We'll have to make sure that some music events get taken in when they are here next time. They're soon going to need a separate room for all the trophies and medals they've won over the past couple of years for skating, baseball, and now music.

Well, one more sleep and Lloyd comes home (hopefully). He won't get here till around midnight again but at least then he'll be here in the morning on Thursday. His list isn't too long this time, just a few little jobs need doing so I suspect he may be able to help with the wood splitting. But if not, that's okay. I just need the tires on my little trailer fixed and a place to put the wood, then I can take it from there. But if he feels like doing some, I won't discourage him.

No comments:

Post a Comment