Monday, May 14, 2012

Monday, May 14th - finally got out for a ride

It's a balmy 9' this morning and we should hit 17' later on. It's not what they've been experiencing in Ontario recently but it's going to be a pretty fine day.

It was a busy weekend and the weather more or less cooperated. Friday night I went up to St. Peter's for the memorial service. It was packed with people. They've done well establishing themselves in the community as they've only been here for six years. It was a very nice ceremony and I was pleased that I actually knew a couple of people. I didn't attend the reception after, but instead went over to the Van Gaals for tea. They were just eating supper so I joined them for a little bit as well. I had brought a cake that was in my freezer and we had that with tea for dessert. I guess it was a win/win for all of us.

Saturday I worked as usual, and when I got home I was finally able to get outside and start cutting some of the grass.  It was overcast by that time and threatening rain, but it held off until I got all of the front yard cut and about half of the yard directly behind the house. I tried to ignore it but the breeze picked up as well and once my clothes were wet I got really cold so it was time to call it quits.  Besides I had to get ready to go to dinner at Chez Van Gaal. And what a dinner it was. Lobster, potato salad, coleslaw, beet salad, home made rolls - yum. There were two couples there I hadn't met before and it was a great evening.

Sunday morning dawned bright and sunny and as I hadn't yet heard anything from the restaurant when they were re-opening,  I had made plans. I saw an ad on line for a slightly bigger bike than mine, and I made arrangements to go and see it on Sunday. I asked Bernie if he would mind looking at it as well. So  the plan was made that after church, he would take Brenda and I out for breakfast and then we would go to look at the bike. But early in the morning, I got up had a coffee and then headed straight outside. It was so nice to have a mild sunny day to actually spend some time out there. I got several things done in a short time before it was time to get changed and head out.  I went over to Brenda's and the three of us headed into town. We had a lovely breakfast then went to see the bike. Unfortunately it wasn't in very good shape and Bernie suggested that it might not be quite what  I was looking for. It seemed to run okay but there was physical damage and needed a bit of money to fix it up, so I passed.  Too bad though, because it would have been the perfect size. Oh well, I'll just have to keep looking. For now I'm quite okay with what I have.

When we got back home we headed out on the road. First a few minutes practicing our stopping, starting and turning before we started out. We went down to the Irving on the Trans Canada and fueled up and headed to Georgetown. It was a bit chilly but we were dressed reasonably warm and as long as the sun was out it was fine. We made a stop along the way to admire the tulips that Vanco plants each year. They grow them for the bulbs, not the flowers but what a spectacle they are when they're all in bloom. We continued on to  Georgetown where we stopped and enjoyed some delicious desserts and a hot cup of tea. (no, we don't do Tim's when we go out on our bikes!). From there we went on back through Cardigan and then home to Brenda's.  It started to sprinkle rain just before we got back and we made it home just in time. We didn't go that far but we put on about 96 kms so not bad for our first run of the year.  Once we put the bikes away and got our leathers off, we went down the road in search of May flowers. I'd never seen them before and now I understand why. They're tiny little flowers that grow very close to the ground in the woods.

You have to really look for them but the have a very pretty fragrance. On our way back we stopped at a patch of rhubarb that Brenda showed me last year and I picked an armful to put into the freezer. So when I got home, I cut that up and put it in bags and just as I was finishing Patti called. I chatted with the boys (Meghan was busy) and Patti then headed into a nice hot bath. Needless to say, that was pretty much my evening. I had planned to do laundry but that will have to wait till tonight. It's not going to rain now like they had predicted all weekend, so I should be able to get some more grass cut tonight right after work. Once it's started, then you're pretty much busy doing that job for the rest of the summer.

Lloyd and the guys got away on Saturday afternoon. They should have arrived in Williamsburg sometime late yesterday. Hopefully they'll have nice weather. Patti mentioned that she'd seen him on Friday when they had their annual Spring Fling fundraiser at the school. As usual, Lloyd won three things. He always wins stuff at that event. He'd already left because he had dinner plans so Patti had to go and pick up his winnings. Every time she went up to collect something people were congratulating her on being so lucky, but unfortunately she didn't actually win anything.  Just Mr. Lucky - as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment