Thursday, May 17, 2012

Thursday, May 17th - it's getting greener and greener

At 5:30 this morning it's a dry and pleasant 15' but it may rain some this morning and again this afternoon and reach a high of 19'. We anticipated lots of rain yesterday and so activities were planned around that but it really didn't materialize. We had tiny showers once in a while but for the most part, it was a pleasant day.

I actually got a few things done around the house last night. I finally moved all the furniture back from when the TV people were here. I expect I'll hear something one way or another in the next couple of weeks. I tidied up and now things are back to what ever is normal! Other than boring house work there's not much new out here. Brenda and Bernie are kept very busy this time of year with farming and with Lloyd away, it's been pretty quiet.

Tonight I'm stopping by the liquor store and bottling some wine. My stock is completely depleted and badly in need of replenishing. The bottles are all washed and in the car. I also need to refill my propane tank as well so that will be my second stop on the way home. I'm hoping to use the BBQ sometime over the weekend as it promises to be a nice weekend. Let's hope they're right. I also plan to do some yard work as I'm not working at the restaurant on Sunday so I'll have a glorious 2 1/2 days to putter outside if the weather cooperates. Of course there will be some activity on Sunday afternoon but that still leaves lots of other time. My flower bed out front badly needs some attention and I want to finish cleaning the siding on the house as well. I got a lot of it done last Sunday and hopefully I can finish it this week.

Yesterday morning as I was finishing up on the computer here at home in front of the side window, I saw the first hummingbird of the season. It's time to get the feeder filled. I love watching them come to the window and listening to the sound their beating wings makes.  As predicted, the leaves on the trees have opened up. They still have a bit of growing to do but in a matter of days the view outside my window will be nothing but lush greenery. That's one thing I particularly love about the island. The vivid greens of all the plants and grasses stays that way all summer, not like when I lived in Ontario and part way through the summer the lawns are all dry and brown because of the lack of rain. Here that never happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment