Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Tuesday, May 22nd - what a glorious weekend

The early herb garden
It's a clear 13' this morning and we should reach 23' later but expect some showers later in the afternoon. That's okay because it was a fabulous weekend. It all started out with a fund raising dinner in town Friday night at the Rodd Royalty. I had been given the tickets at work so Brenda and I were pleased to enjoy someone's generosity.  It was a very entertaining evening and we were sat with some nice people. The silent and live auctions raised a lot of money for the Autism Society and the entertainment was very enjoyable, as was the meal. All in all, a great evening.
Saturday morning I was at work when I got a call from Brenda. Someone had dropped of a bunch of lobsters so I would need to come over for supper to help them out. It's a chore but what are friends for? So it was lobster - again - for something like the 4th or 5th time in little over a week. I picked up my favorite orange cake at M and M's and tucked that away in  the freezer when I got home. It was a warm sunny afternoon so I was happy to get some real work done outside. I finally tackled the little bed of herbs at the side of the house as well as weeded and cleaned out the flower bed at the front. Several of the petunias re-seeded themselves from last year but other than that there's nothing in that bed. I did pick up a hosta but I need to search out some more perennials. I pass by several places on my way home from work that have signs out and I'll investigate that further this week.  After cleaning up it was off to supper at Chez Van Gaal. And what a delight - again.
Don't I look good on this?
Our next plan was to get up and head out very early on Sunday morning. The motorcycle that Bernie had bought in Arizona had been shipped to Maine and was ready to be picked up. So promptly at 6:00 am the three of us headed for Houlton, Maine in the truck. It was a beautiful sunny day and although the temperatures weren't going to be so hot here on the island, in New Brunswick we were headed for the low 20's so we were sure to take our shorts and sandals with us to change into later. We stopped along the way and had a wonderful breakfast not too far from Fredericton. Then it was back on the road again. Once we crossed the border - which I thought might be an issue as I noticed that morning that my passport had expired - we were on our way. The fellow who owns the business where the bike was shipped to met us there. Unfortunately there were some technical difficulties and it wouldn't start but eventually they got it going. The plan was for Bernie to drive the bike back and we would take the truck. More troubles with the bike starting continued - sometimes it would start, and sometimes it wouldn't. Once Bernie had cleared customs (and finished chatting with the very pleasant customs officer) it once again would not start. Fortunately there was a slight grade in the parking lot so Brenda and I helped push it up the hill and the we pushed it to give it a running start. After two attempts he took off. We all headed for Fredericton from there. The plan was to stop and visit Bernie's sister Mary and her family. We spent a pleasant time there checking out her beautiful flower beds. What a spectacular sight, and she was complaining that she hasn't done any work in them yet. I was blown away. She certainly has a real talent for gardening. It was totally inspiring and gave me some ideas of what is
Some of Mary's gardens
possible here with a lot of time (and a lot of work) but it would be so worth it.  At that point the decision was made to load the bike in the back of the truck. After overcoming a few obstacles, the bike was loaded and we were on our way to visit another sister of Bernie's who has a condo in the centre of town. We visited with them for a bit then the four of us went out to supper on an outdoor patio at a restaurant a short walk away. It was a great time and I really enjoyed meeting everyone and we had a really nice meal. A big thanks to them as well.
The it was on the road again. We followed the river out of town and it's a very scenic and pleasant drive. It was after 8:00 when we left Fredericton so Brenda sent a message to Will to ask if he would come over and let poor Cooper out and give him some supper. He was very obliging and both Cooper and I were grateful.
The rest of the ride home was uneventful and if you can have an uneventful drive home through New Brunswick's moose and deer population, that's a GOOD thing. It was exactly midnight when we pulled into the Van Gaal's driveway. It had been a long day but a fun one. Thanks again, guys, for inviting me along.
More of Mary's gardens
Monday morning again dawned sunny and mild. So after watching a bit of TV online ( it was a season finale I just had to see) and having a coffee, it was time to get to work. I had invited the Van Gaal family for supper being as I've had supper there at least a dozen time in the past while so it was most definitely my turn.  I did all my prep work early and had everything ready to just be warmed up on the BBQ when they were done working for the day. In the meantime, Lloyd called to report that they had gotten home okay on Sunday around noon. Sounds like a good time was had by all. But now the push is on to finish the plane. After chatting with him,  I headed out and picked up some gas for the mower. I did the grass around the house but that was it. It was so nice and sunny I really wanted to take advantage of the day so I sat outside for a while and read my book and had a cold drink. It was nice and warm but also very windy so bugs were not an issue, which is always a bonus out here. I had a lot of laundry that needed doing but it was TOO windy to hang it out and I decided to leave that for a rainy day, which will probably be this evening, but that's okay.
It was such a relaxing say I felt a nap might be in order as well, so that accounted for about an hour of my time.
I may not have great flowers, but I have an amazing crop of
"Miniature Meadow Marigolds"

The Van Gaals didn't receive the seed they needed so they arrived a little earlier than I thought they might, which was good. The boys arrived in Ethan's car and Brenda and Bernie in the truck. I had braised some spare ribs in the morning and made twice baked potatoes so all I had to do was put the ribs on the BBQ to heat and add some sauce and pop the potatoes in the oven to warm up. Some cooked baby carrots and a bit of coleslaw and it was supper. Brenda brought  the left over cake from Saturday and that combined with the butter tarts I'd made earlier in the day was dessert. It was a simple supper and an early evening for all of us. A perfect end to a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment