Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Back to reality !

This morning it's overcast and 3 degrees - much more seasonal. We got totally spoiled on the weekend but we knew it wasn't here to stay. It's going to rain today, and for the next few days by the sounds of things. But we probably need it.

I talked to Brenda last night and they had a great trip. Now we are really back to normal. Everyone is where they are supposed to be, and the weather is also where it's supposed to be. The only thing that's not quite right is the dark empty store. It seems strange to drive by and not see 4 or 5 cars there in the morning. Brenda and the others are busy organizing Dave's party. There will likely be a good turnout. It's too bad Lloyd won't be here but I think he's in South Africa at that time. Guess some choices you just have to make.

On the weekend when I was outside in the back yard, I noticed a large hole in the ground. It almost looks like a sink hole - it's about two feet across and a good 10 inches deep. So as I was raking up the sawdust that was left from cutting the wood last year (and there was a LOT of that) I was filling in the hole, and packing it down. I also pulled up some sod in another patch to plant some rhubarb I got in town on Saturday. So I put that stuff in there too. This morning as I was packing my lunch, I happened to look out the kitchen window and the two large dogs from next door were digging for all they were worth in that same hole. From the looks of it they've just about got it dug out to where it was before I started filling it in. There must be something in there, probably mice or something, but they've got several holes dug all around the property. Good think Cooper wasn't out there with them or he would have been right in the thick of things too. I don't know if that's how the hole got there in the first place -I didn't think so as there was no dirt on the sides to indicate it had been dug out, so it's a mystery.

This brings me to mind of something I will have to adjust my thinking on. I've noticed that the next door neighbour takes her ashes, and what not, across the road and dumps them into the ditch. I saw her taking a wheel barrow full of stuff on the weekend, and doing the same thing. My initial thought is, why would you dump that stuff on someone elses property when you have lots of space of your own to put it. But it has been brought to my attention that this is a normal practice here. I suppose it's not a big deal if it's organic materials you're dumping. When I thought about it I realized why I found this practice strange.

Several years ago, Lloyd and I bought a brand new house in Guelph. It was a new subdivision and most of the neighbours all moved in around the same time. We got to know some of them and we were all working on putting in flower beds, etc. One neighbour and I were always trying to find somewhere to put the sod pieces that were taken up, along with any other yard materials. But when you only have a lot the size of a postage stamp, you're limited where you can put it. At that time, there were still open spaces to the south of our development so under cloak of darkness, after the kids were in bed, we would load up our wheel barrows and take them over to the construction site and dump our organic materials, because we would have been in such trouble if we got caught. We felt like such criminals for doing this but what choice did we have. And really, it was just grass and dirt, but when you live in an urban area, you really are limited. So, some habits die hard I suppose. I realize now that it really doesn't make any difference to the environment where you put the grass and the dirt. I guess it just takes a while to get over feeling guilty about something, even though there really isn't anything to feel guilty about.

I have a large pile of logs and branches on my front yard - I think someone would notice if I dumped those across the street!

Well, it looks like my job is secure for yet another month. It's being extended to the end of May. I was talking with Tracey yesterday and apparently when Linda comes back it will be only for an hour or two a day until she is back full time. So I will be kept on until she's back full time, so who knows how long it's going to take. I can do data entry when she's working and then go back to her desk when she's gone. It will be a bit weird but we'll just have to work it out. Yesterday I was also told I will be taking on some added duties in terms of our data base. This will free up Rosie to take on something else. You know what they say s--t flows down hill - and the admin is usually at the bottom of that hill! But that's okay - the more tasks I can take over, the better it's going to be in the long run. I was just looking at job postings online yesterday and was going to drop off some resume's after work but I'll have to wait for now. I've applied for numerous jobs online and I've not heard a single thing from any of them. Some of them give you the option of dropping off your resume in person, so I guess when the time comes that may be a better option. It will at least give me an opportunity to speak to someone directly. Perhaps that will make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment