Wednesday, April 14, 2010

We're not done yet!


It's quite chilly this morning, minus 5 degrees but the sun is shining. There was a really heavy layer of frost on the car this morning and tomorrow has the f-word in the forecast - FLURRIES! But I'm sure it won't amount to much.

Last night was our last IAAP meeting before our Administrative Professionals Day workshop. We have a small group who are actively working on it, but they always come out to the meetings. Our numbers are not quite where we would like them to be but they're not too bad. We have an article going into the paper this week and we're going to try to get someone on the radio to talk about it. That should push us to where we want to be.

I had a little chat with Lloyd last night. I thought I'd better touch base with him before he heads out this evening to Germany, then on to South Africa. I hope they have a really great time. It will be a wonderful experience for both of them. He's traveling with one of his flying buddies. They are going to miss him when he moves out here, and I know he'll miss that group of guys he's become such good friends with.

Yesterday I called all around to find the new Jesse Cook CD. We don't have an HMV or a Music World, staples in every mall in Ontario. There is a CD Plus in the Confederation Mall but they were out of stock. I finally found it at Indigo, of all places. So I've been listening to it in the car on my way too and from work. Tonight I must get some of his music to Brenda. I really hope she likes it. It'll be something different for her.

Speaking of something different, when I was talking to Patti the other night, she told me there was a problem with timing of their trip in the summer. Her aunt has to attend something in Ontario so they won't get here until the Monday or Tuesday after the Taylor Swift concert. Needless to say, this is of major concern to Meghan. So I think the problem might be solved if Patti can fly her out here a few days early. Then she can stay with me and we can go to the concert. We'll figure something out. She hasn't got her ticket yet, so I won't get mine until she gets hers. I know she's really looking forward to it.

It's only fitting that I should take her to her first concert. Grandma has always been the one to introduce them to the finer things in life - like music. Maybe not the worlds greatest music, but music just the same. I took James to see "We Will Rock You" and many, many years ago, I took Patti's cousin Jennifer to see the Bay City Rollers. I think she was 8 years old. Much later, at Patti's wedding, I asked the DJ ahead of time if he had a copy of "Saturday Night" by them. He made sure he did. During the reception he dedicated the song "To Sandy's niece, Jennifer" and he put the record on. Immediately Jennifer came running across the floor and gave me a big hug and said, "Oh my god, I didn't think you remembered!" How could I ever forget ! I've been to see so many of my favorite rock musicians in my life time, and the first time you see your favorites, is amazing. I never got to see the Beatles live, but I'll never forget the first time I saw Paul McCartney live. It was an unforgettable experience, even though I was in my 30's at the time. So I've made it my personal mission to be the one to take all the kids to their first concert as well. James hasn't really been to a concert yet, just a stage play, but the concert will come one day. Unfortunately the singer he really likes is dead, so that's not an option. But perhaps if Queen does play somewhere, without Freddie Mercury, we can go. I'm not sure that seeing the Wiggles live when he was 2 really counts as a concert, and besides, he doesn't really remember it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment