Tuesday, April 13, 2010

It's almost time for Jesse Cook


Monday night is the Jesse Cook concert and I'm really looking forward to it. One of the things Jana asked me when I was in Guelph was if I'd gotten the new CD yet. I kept putting it off, mostly because I never go to the mall. I figured I had lots of time but now it is less than a week away so I'd better get my act together. I think I'll take a lunch break today and pop over to Charlottetown Mall and see if I can pick it up there. But I should check the phone book first to a) make sure there's actually a music store there and b) that they have the CD in question. Then I need to loan Brenda a couple of his earlier ones to listen to so she is at least a little familiar with the music when we go on Monday night.

Last night I talked to Patti and the kids. They were at hockey try outs for next year. I remember this time last year. James was working really hard so that he could get picked and be done try outs in order to drive with me to PEI. When he didn't make the second cut he was in tears. We thought he was disappointed that he hadn't made that particular level, but once we got him calmed down, it turned out he was upset because he would have to keep going to try outs and wouldn't be able to drive with me to the island. But then the schedule worked out so that he could just make the trip but it meant Patti had to fly out the day after we arrived and pick him up. I remember picking her up at the airport, a really quick trip out to the new house, and then back to the airport to catch the next flight. But he was a pretty happy boy to be able to go with me. The night before I was to leave, was my going away party from work. He came with his mom and dad, then stayed and went home with me. After sleeping over we got up really early and headed out. He had a great time at the party, and spent a large part of the night sitting at the bar, conversing with Jana's husband Scott, and the bar tender. They were quite taken with him and they had a great time, mixing him non-alcoholic drinks.

Yesterday afternoon, I witnessed the most amazing thing. We don't think of pets as having certain characteristics but I saw something I've never seen before. Cooper and Scoobie are great buddies. They play together and chase each other around the yard all the time. In people terms you would call them best friends.
Anyone who knows Cooper, knows that his favorite thing is a marrow bone. I buy them for him at the grocery store and keep them in the freezer. Every so often I take one out and cook it and give it to him for a treat. He will chew on a bone for literally hours on end. Once the marrow is out of it, and every conceivable scrap of meat is off of it, he will still chew for hours. He has a collection around the house, with at least one in every room because you just never know when you might need to chew of a bone. I throw some of them out once in a while, but not all of them.

I cooked him a new one on Sunday afternoon, as he hadn't had a fresh one in a while. He chewed it all evening and even after I went to bed, he was out in the hallway chewing away on his new bone. When he finally did get up on the bed, he brought the bone with him, but I took it away and put it back on the floor. He stayed put and went to sleep. First thing in the morning he jumped down off the bed, picked up his bone and headed downstairs. I went off to work as usual.
When I got home, I was outside bringing some fire wood inside. He went into the house and got his new bone, and brought it outside. I thought, okay, you're going to lose that if you're not careful. Scoobie was standing outside by the shed. Cooper went straight over to him and dropped the bone in front of his nose, then kind of sniffed around a bit and walked away. Scoobie picked up the bone, but had his eyes on Cooper the whole time. Then he played with it a bit, just kind of picking it up, and tossing it around then picking it up again but never taking his eyes off Cooper. Finally after a couple of minutes he picked up the bone and went home, but he kept looking behind him to see if Cooper was following. But Cooper just stood there and watched him go, and never moved. A couple of minutes after Scoobie took the bone home, he came back without it, and then the two dogs started playing around the yard. I thought that was a really amazing thing, that Cooper would share his bone with his good friend. I always knew he has a kind heart but now I have proof!

They really can be quite amazing if we just stop and take the time to watch them for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment