Thursday, April 29, 2010

Yay - I'm on holiday!



It's raining and 4 degrees but I don't care! In a couple of days I will be in Tucson, where the temperatures this week have been in the high 20's. I know it will be hot but it's a dry heat so there won't be any humidity to contend with. One thought though, I have no idea what happens with hot flashes in that heat? Do you get even hotter or do you even know when they occur? Hmmmmm , something to find out.

Last night I got to stay up late and watch TV till midnight. I always miss Private Practice cause it doesn't come on till 11:00 so that's way too late for me, but I was able to stay up as I didn't have to get up so early this morning. Brenda came over last night as well and I was able to broaden her culinary horizons just a tiny bit. On my way home last night I stopped at the grocery store to pick up a salad for supper and I saw some plantains and they just spoke to me! So I bought one and brought it home. I was cooking it when Brenda came in, so we had fried plantain with brown sugar and ice cream. I did cook them a little too long in the brown sugar and butter so the sugar carmelized and when it got cold it was crunchy, but who knew that's one of Brenda's favorite things. So she was kind enough to eat it all up.

I'm excited about our trip. It will be nice to spend some relaxing time together. I've been to Ontario 3 times since I got here and each time has been really busy. When Lloyd comes down here it's always a busy time for him to get stuff done around the house, so we really haven't had any time in the last year to just chill out.

It's hard to believe that today is the one year anniversary of our buying the house. This date last year was warm and sunny. Then the next day was just like today- cold and wet. I remember James and I driving in beautiful weather on the 30th all the way from Brockville, picking up the dog in Montreal, and James walking him every time we stopped. We both really enjoyed that trip.

I love to travel, and I must admit, we are so fortunate to have Patti working for Air Canada. That has afforded us the opportunity to take some amazing trips. Lloyd sent me a couple of amazing pictures he took in Africa. One of them I couldn't figure out how to save. I need a geek to show me how. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of them.

We've been fortunate to have spent two weeks in Australia, a week in Spain, London, New York, San Francisco, and every trip has been amazing.
My favorite city of all those I've visited is London. I've been there 5 times and I love it there. I've been there often enough that I know my way around, although London proper is really quite small. But the tube system is absolutely amazing. There are so many lines that take you all around the outlying area. The interesting thing is the lines are all stacked up on top of one another so there are these amazing escalators that take you long distances under the ground. Then you take a train, get off at your stop, and depending on what line you're taking next, it's back down another escalator. I don't know the stats on how far underground the bottom tunnel is but I know it's a long way. I love the tube because it's so efficient and you can get absolutely anywhere. If you buy a pass for the number of days you're there for, you just insert your card into the machine and go. Interestingly enough, British people complain about it being inefficient. I can't imagine how they would cope here in Canada. Our public transit systems are so inadequate when you compare them to what they have in London.

Yesterday I was poking around on line looking for something and I came across this video. It totally brought back so many memories of trips on the tube, and I've been on this particular line but anyone who knows me well,

CAN YOU IMAGINE IF I'D BEEN ON THIS TRAIN?????
-click on the arrow to play and you'll see what I mean.

1 comment:

  1. Gosh that video must be Old Old He looks so young there. But I do remember when he looked that young.

    ReplyDelete