Thursday, August 26, 2010

Almost didn't make it today



Conditions at 7:00 - raining and 18*
Expected later - more rain and a high of 23*

When I got to Timothy's this morning, I wasn't able to log onto the wireless access. So, I tried one of the computers there and they didn't have access either, so I went back to my table to read the paper instead. Michelle, who works here, inquired if I was having some difficulty. I told her I wasn't able to access the internet on my laptop and I'm not great with Mac's so couldn't get onto theirs either. So she poked, prodded, unplugged and re-plugged and got it working, so here I am.

Today is my first day at the new job and I'm a little nervous, but that's normal. I'm sure there will be a bit of a learning curve but there usually is. Yesterday after work, the Advancement staff took me out for drinks and munchies at East Side Mario's. Rosie wasn't able to make it as she had to be somewhere else but she drives a Honda so I'll see her when she brings it in for service. She also assured me she'll call when she plans her next party. I was very pleased to have been left on the guest list. I received a lovely card from the staff with everyone telling me they want to keep in touch, and hopefully they mean it and are not just being polite! I also received a one year subscription to Bon Appetit magazine, which I used to subscribe to but it has run out since I moved here. So that was a really nice treat!

Speaking of food, I received a call from the lady who looks after Community School and it looks like they may be able to accommodate 'our' cooking class. They have a meeting next week and she's going to let me know. She just wanted to touch base and let me know that they were still looking into it

After I left East Side Mario's last night I went to Timothy's and had coffee and read a book until Bernie and Brenda picked me up and took me with them to Victoria by the Sea for "Letters from Wingfield Farm". It was quite funny and entertaining. He's a very talented man! A perfect way to keep my mind off the fact I was starting a new job this morning.

When I got home last night, around 11:00, there was a message from Home Depot - my cabinets are in! I'll swing by there tonight and see if I can fit the two drawers in my car - I think they should fit, then I'll have to coordinate with Brenda to see when I can get the other one home. I'm going to need her to bring a truck into town. But it's raining today and tomorrow night we have an event to attend in town and then Saturday I'm working from 12:00 to 830. But we'll figure something out.

Yesterday morning I had an appointment with a nutritionist to discuss my slightly elevated cholesterol level. She had all the results of my blood work and took my blood pressure and then plugged all these numbers into a computer program. It's purpose is to give you the likelihood of developing Cardiovascular Disease in ten years time. They seem to be all about prevention at this doctors office - what's up with THAT? Anyway, the computer tells me I have a 1.3% chance of developing heart disease in ten years. So basically she told me to just keep doing what I'm doing but did give me some dietary sheets but there wasn't anything in there I didn't already know. In some ways it was a bit of a waste of time but on the other hand it's nice to know I'm in pretty good health - but it's definitely more good luck than good management on my part, I can assure you!

Well, it's time to head off to Capital Honda. I'm not sure how long it will take from Timothy's and I'd hate to be late my first day! Once I know how much time I need from here, I'll be better able to plan my mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment