Saturday, August 7, 2010

It's much cooler now

Yesterday proved to be much cooler than Thursday. It was really quite pleasant. I actually wore a jacket when I went out first thing in the morning.
I woke up around 5:00 am and Lloyd was already gone to work so I just kind of puttered around the apartment. I baked my cake and headed out to the office a little before 9:00. Several people there were away on vacation but I still got to see Kay, Jackie, Jana, Yvonne and Maryanne. They also have a very nice young man working with them for the summer as a coop student. We sat around and chatted till it was time for everyone to get back to work. I had a couple of errands I needed to do so I drove around town then met Fran at Royal City Chinese food for lunch. While we were there I invited them to join us for supper later in the evening. After lunch, I called Linda and we met at Timothy's for coffee. She was able to find me one of those travel carrier things she has in her car for the dog. It totally covers the entire back seat so muddy paws are not all over the car. It also comes with a water bottle, collapsible water bowl, food container and a first aid kit for pets. Gee, I don't even have one of those for ME! I had seen hers when she came over to the house and she had gotten it at Costco. She said if she saw one she'd get it for me. I was surprised to get an email from her yesterday morning telling me she'd found one, so that was good timing!

After coffee I picked up some groceries and went back to Lloyd's to make supper. It was going to be an easy one -Greek Salad, mini boiled potatoes, sauteed whole in butter after cooking, corn on the cob (it was wonderfully sweet and delicious) and beer can chicken. Lloyd had made a spice rub for some he had cooked previously and it was very good. For dessert we grilled fresh peaches on the BBQ and served them over vanilla frozen yogurt. But before we started cooking anything, Jim called and we met him and Jan at Shakespeare Arms around 4:30 for a beer. But we had to leave by 6:00 so I could get the chickens on the BBQ as Fran and Walt were coming over around 7:00.

We had a pleasant evening sitting around the table like old times and I must admit I do miss that. The four of us have enjoyed so many meals together over the years. It was nice to spend time with just the two of them as the last times I've been here it's usually a group of us that get together.

So as you can see, it's been all about the food and beverages so far.

This morning we're meeting the airport crew for breakfast. We weren't planning on it but Jan has a brother who has some photographic equipment he is looking for a home for. Lloyd and Jan had already discussed this and thought I might be a likely candidate, even though it's not something I've done in a very long time, but I'd love to get back into. I know that no one does any of their own processing anymore, although some one must as you can still buy the chemicals in a camera shop on Queen Street. There is just something so magical about watching the images appear before your very eyes in the developer tray. I'd love to share that with the kids. I think it's important to impart some of those old ways of doing thing onto the kids today. I'd like them to see that not everything has always been so instant.

Speaking of old ways, I've got this idea stuck in my head and that's why I was up again at 5:00 this morning. Once I wake up, ideas start spinning around and it's a waste of time trying to go back to sleep. There's this church ...that needs a new home..... and the more I think of it, the more the idea is taking shape. Lloyd even contributed that it could go on the lot on Five Houses road - and he's come up with a name. Hypothetically, I would make it into a bed and breakfast. Bed and Breakfast customers are looking for a different experience. Because we are not in an area with a lot of tourist attractions, would it not be kind of neat to stay in a church? I see it being something that would appeal to the folks that want something a little off the beaten path. While at the same time, we are a short drive to the beach, golf, the confederation trail, and actually even Charlottetown. Right now the emphasis is on the local produce and how cool would it be to have a unique bed and breakfast experience in the heart of one of PEI's agricultural areas. I know it would cost quite a bit to move, renovate and get up and running so I'm doing a bit of research into finding out if there is grant money, or low cost loans to assist with this kind of project. I might just be dreaming, but the more I think about it, the more ideas come into my head. I need to pick up a small note book to jot things down cause there's too much rattling around in my head to remember them all. Those of you who know me well, are sitting there thinking, okay, just sit down and give your head a shake. But I think it does warrent a little investigation. Any comments???? (besides the obvious, are you nuts?)

No comments:

Post a Comment