Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Sea Heather



Conditions at 7:00 - overcast and 14*
Expected later - possible rain and a high of 23*


Last night I was introduced to the wonder that is Sea Heather. What a lovely little flower. It looks a lot like baby's breathe, and now that I think of it, I'm sure I've seen something like it in flower baskets before. It's very pretty and grows wild along the edge of the river. On the weekend Brenda had mentioned that it flowers around the middle of August and that we needed to check it out. So last night she called and suggested we start some walking and head down Hickey's Wharf road in search of Sea Heather. We both came back carrying great bouquets.

When I got home from work, I started in splitting wood. I've finally finished the first pile, the larger of the two. I can now honestly say that the pile to be done is smaller than the pile that still needs to be done. It's a slow process but it's going well. Only a couple of bruises from logs falling off the back of the truck and hitting me in the leg. Hazards of the job I suppose. I'll be glad when it's done but there is a certain satisfaction at seeing the rows grow in numbers. It's tangible proof of what I've been doing all summer. No, it hasn't ALL been fun and games!

I've decided that I want to put a more permanent island in my kitchen. So long story short, Lloyd is picking up a piece of butcher block counter top for me when he drives down in September and I've ordered a couple of kitchen cabinets to put in the centre of the floor. It will give me a little more cupboard space and it will be much easier to sweep around. It will also be very functional counter space. I do need room at the end for a stool to sit under, as that's Brenda's spot. I'm very excited about this little project. The back of the cupboards will be facing the door so I'm going to put a piece of the same beaded board on there that's on the rest of the kitchen walls. I think it will be a great addition to my kitchen. Then my next big project for the kitchen will be the second stove. I now know it will fit and I'll still actually be able to use the cupboards beside it, although eventually they may be moved. I'll wait till after I've caught up a little bit from getting the chimney fixed. Once the island is in, and the stove is in, it will pretty much be the kitchen that I really wanted. It doesn't have to be big and fancy, just have a big stove and an island.

I have a very sad tale to tell. On Saturday morning when I was splitting wood, I'd picked up a piece of wood off the ground, and hadn't noticed that there was a tiny newborn animal of some kind under it. It was a little later that I noticed it and it was lying in the dirt baking in the sun. I assumed it was dead until I touched it and it moved. So I picked it up and took it into the house and put it into a small container with nice soft kleenex underneath. I warmed some milk and was actually able to get a couple of drops into it's wee little mouth. I have no idea what it was, it was too big for a mouse, but as Brenda suggested, it may have been a rat. It was too small for a rabbit and it did have a tail. I suppose it could have been a mole as well. I took a picture of it with a quarter beside it for a point of reference.

I knew it would probably die, as it was pretty dehydrated from it's brief time in the sun. It's paper thin hairless skin would lose moisture pretty quickly. Now I know most of you think I'm totally crazy for bringing something like that into the house, but I just couldn't knowingly leave it out there to bake to death in the sun. I figured it would die soon and it did later on in the evening. But I have comfort in knowing that at least it was in a comfy place when it died.

No comments:

Post a Comment