Wednesday, August 4, 2010

You can feel the fall in the air this morning...




Conditions at 7:00 am - overcast and 19*
Expected later - rain and 23*


I hate to say it, but this morning, you definitely feel like fall in the air. It certainly doesn't help that the stores now have fall clothes and back to school supplies in great abundance.
Suzanne and Jacob arrived yesterday afternoon about 4:00. They had been on the road since Sunday morning so they were ever so glad to finally reach their destination! We immediately headed out to my house, with a quick stop, of course, on the side of the road, to admire Brenda and Bernie's amazing crop of sunflowers. I haven't yet gotten a picture of them but I plan to very soon. The picture shown here is not their field, but it's just as beautiful.

I was planning on BBQing burgers for supper last night but it started to rain just as I put them on the grill. Unfortunately I didn't go out in the rain as often as I should have and they got a little charred. I told Suzanne I obviously had great respect for her as I was presenting her with burnt offerings. But we managed to choke them down. I cooked some mini burgers that I had made and I had a couple of store bought burgers. The homemade mini ones were edible but the store made ones tasted somewhat like a charcoal encrusted block of sawdust! Definitely not one of my better efforts. The up side was the wild blueberries we went out and picked before supper and had over ice cream for dessert.

Jacob was a little disappointed that he'd missed the spaghetti and meatballs on Monday so I promised we could do that again tonight. That will work well, as I had some cut up onions and some small tomatoes in the fridge that I'd like to use up so I threw them all in to the sauce and put it in the slow cooker. Now when I get home all I have to do is cook some pasta and make some garlic bread and we're done.

We invited Brenda to join us tonight for the Sound and Light show downtown if the weather permits. I hope it does. Before I do that I have to get my bag packed to take to work with me in the morning. I'll drop Cooper off at the kennel on my way to work then Brandi is going to drive me to the airport after lunch. I can leave my car parked at the university and then she said she'd pick me up on Monday.

I still have one part of the lawn to cut but I don't see that getting done any time soon. I know what I'm going to be doing in the evenings when I get back on Monday. And of course I'm still working on my wood pile. I must admit I'm looking forward to the fall when I can work outside without the benefit of copious amounts of bug spray. I truly think that April/May and September/October are my favorite times of the year. You can work outside all you want and never have mosquitoes constantly buzzing around your face. It's hard to get anything done when both hands are continuously swatting bugs.

I talked to Fran yesterday and we're meeting for lunch on Friday. I will likely go into the office on Friday morning for breakfast. If I get in on time on Thursday night, we're going to Borealis Grill for supper. Lloyd has raved about the food there and I've only been there once before and that was for my going away party. It was more finger foods and I don't actually think I ate anything that night, I was too busy gabbing with people. So it will be nice to actually sit down and eat a meal there.

Lloyd was supposed to be going to a play in Stratford with our friend Rose, but he got the date of the McCartney concert wrong and was going to Stratford on Sunday, but I guess he was able to re-schedule that.

Speaking of plays, Linda told me she went to see "The Last Resort" when she was here and she really enjoyed it. So I think Brenda and I are going to go and see it. I also wouldn't mind going to see Hairspray, and I'm sure she can be talked into that as well. There's an article in this mornings paper about it as well. Norm, from the TV show Cheers has joined the cast. I can only imagine that he would play the part of the father. But we'll see. I enjoyed the movie and I'm sure the play will be fun as well.

Well, I'd better go, I need to make a list of things I have to pack tonight. Without my endless lists, I'd be totally lost!

2 comments:

  1. Norm is playing the part of a woman, Edna I don't remember a manly looking Edna in the Movie Oh yes what did John Travolta play?.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right - John Travolta played the role of Edna in the movie. I didn't read the whole article until after I'd written the blog. It should be interesting. Shall we go?

    ReplyDelete