Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I was thinking..



Conditions at 7:00 am- 9* and sunny

Expected later - 21* and more sun

I was trying to think of how I could improve my liquor store experience. Last Saturday was my first day and it was less than perfect. I stood in one spot for the entire 4 hours and my feet and legs were killing me. While I enjoyed talking to people, the standing was hard, and the table they gave me was totally inadequate. It was little more than a TV tray table. I talked to Chris yesterday, the fellow who I deal with, and who hired me, and is based out of Halifax. I get the impression that this is the first time this company has done this sort of thing on the island, and there's a big difference between here and what goes on with the Nova Scotia liquor commission.
While I was there, another couple of people came in to do a tasting of some type of rum. They had theirs already mixed with 7up and were giving away T-shirts and hats, etc. But they were only there for about 45 minutes, then they packed up and left. What intrigued me was the table they were using. It was the resin folding type but only about 20 x 30 inches. They set it up and put a table cloth over it and it looked so much better than what I had to work with.

So, yesterday I checked all around for one of those tables. I finally found one online and it was $40. If I could have found one here I would have bought it but a search of all local stores turned up nothing. So, back up plan, I went to Home Depot and found the folding table legs for $20.00 and a 2 foot by 4 foot sheet of plywood, trimmed down to 3 feet, for the top was another $8.00. SO, for just around $30.0 I have a great little table that I can easily fit in the trunk of my car. I found a piece of fabric to put over the top, and one of my stools will fit ever so neatly underneath. The god part is I have the table to keep and if somewhere down the road I need a bigger table for something I can just take the folding legs off and put them onto a bigger sheet of plywood.
Now I'm all set for Saturday, when I'm doing two 4 hours shifts. The bigger display space will be much nicer as well, as you have to keep count of how many samples you give out so you need somewhere for a clipboard or something, as well as your glasses, ice bucket (for the white) and the display bottles. I may even do a couple of signs I can put on the table advertising the free samples. Now I'm quite excited about next Saturday!

Last night, I was late getting home, after going all over town looking for a table, and by the time I made supper, cleaned up, put my table together, then watched a little TV, the night was over. I had talked to Patti in the morning and the flights just aren't going to work so Meghan's going to have to wait till next summer to see Anne of Green Gables, The Musical.

I'm quite happy to see that the Goods are again selling their produce at the side of the road. I really enjoyed that last year, being able to just stop by on my way home. Last night I stopped in and picked up a huge cauliflower and had some of it with some new potatoes, mashed with some roasted garlic and sour cream - yum. I just put butter on the cauliflower and it was delicious. I was poking around in the freezer on the weekend and I found half a roasted pork loan, so I took that out yesterday and had some warmed up with my meal. It was delicious. I used the steamer I got in China Town before I left Ontario and it worked brilliantly. I put the potatoes in the bottom, cooked them till almost done, then put the veggies in the steamer above the potatoes, along with a piece of pork, wrapped in foil. By the time the potatoes were cooked, the veggies were tender and the meat was warmed. Perfect!

Today my replacement starts at UPEI. She's actually a little older than me and she's a temp who goes around and fills in where needed. We'll only have two days together (well, actually 1 1/2 as I have a doctors appointment in the morning tomorrow), but I've written down instructions for most things and we'll have time to at least go over those things. It should make it much easier for her than it was when I started, as Linda was already gone and no one else had a clue what she did. So there were a lot of questions, and much trial and error. Hopefully it will be easier for Paula.

No comments:

Post a Comment