Monday, August 2, 2010

It's going to be another short week!



Conditions at & 7:00 - 10* and sunny with fog patches
Expected later- sun and 22*

It was a fairly busy weekend for me at the University. Friday I attended the 50 year reunion of the class of 1960 from Saint Dunstan's University. What I want to know is WHEN DID I GET THIS OLD? These people graduated a short 12 years before I did and they all seemed so old. Some were downright frail. Is that going to be me in 12 years time? I can't be that old - in my mind I'm still 25! On the way home, I stopped in at the VanGaals where I was serenaded by Bernie and Jackie with a wonderful rendition of Happy Birthday!

While we were sitting around talking, the story was told of how Jackie's family's barn caught fire and how the operator broke into the party lines and told everyone. Jackie says hundreds of people showed up to help fight the fire, and the barn was saved. I love the fact that I have the opportunity to hear some of these old tales, and get a brief glimpse into what life was like. I hope someone is writing all these stories down, because they are truly priceless. The kids today have no idea what life was like for their ancestors and I hope that information is available to them when they are old enough to appreciate it.

On Saturday night I attended the class reunion of 1970 from UPEI. Now this was more like it. Since I graduated in 1972, they were more my age. It's very scary the difference 10 years can make. It was a great turn out, a little over 60 people. They've had reunions before but this was a big one - 40 years, and some hadn't been to a reunion before. It was so much fun to watch the looks on peoples faces when they recognized someone they hadn't seen in that long a time. The noise level in the room was very high as everyone chattered on and on, and were genuinely happy to see each other. I've never been to a reunion but I hear that my old public school is having one on Thanksgiving weekend, and I will give it some thought.
It was a late night, midnight when I got home but it was a lot of fun. I was invited to attend their music afternoon on Sunday at the Old Triangle but I just ran out of time and didn't make it.

On Saturday morning I got a call from Nancy, who informed me she's in Halifax. She's visiting her sister and brother and is going to try to make a day trip over to the island. I really hope she can. Her plan is to drive over on the bridge, meet up with me, and we'll get some supper then a quick trip to my house, for the tour, then I'll direct her to the ferry for her trip back. It's do-able but it will be a long day for her. I hope she makes it, I'd love for her to see where I live, and I know she really wants to as well.

Suzanne is also supposed to be arriving today to stay for a couple of nights. She's on her way to Gaspe and plans to come here for a short visit. So she will likely be leaving on Wednesday, then Thursday I'm off to Toronto.

I loved the comment on the previous page where I posted the short video clip of Stan Rogers singing at a kitchen table. Brenda knew who's kitchen it was, where it was and who was in the group at the table. Leave it to Brenda to know that! And how valuable to have that information.

Speaking of Brenda, she dropped by yesterday afternoon on her bike when I was cutting the lawn. There was a strawberry social at the Rec Centre and she was planning to attend when she got back from town. So when I was done with the grass, I got cleaned up and met her there. Then we headed into town to have supper on Victoria Row, where she treated me for my birthday. We were joined part way through by a long haired biker dude! Bernie has certainly undergone quite a transformation since he's let his hair grow longer. That combined with his size and the beard, make him quite an intimidating looking fellow.

After eating, we went for a stroll down on Peakes Quay. It was an absolutely gorgeous evening and there were lots and lots of people out taking in the sight and dining on restaurant patios.

I've got the house all ready for company but I think I might take a week off before I start my new job (that is, if I get it!). I really want to paint the sun porch and it's slightly more than a weekend project so if I can swing it, I might take a week off as a holiday and finish up a few things. But we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment