Friday, January 28, 2011

The calm AFTER the storm


Conditions at 5:15 am : -5' and a bit windy
Expected later: -6' and a mix of sun and cloud

CBC weather man Boomer told us last night it would be a beautiful day today. Let's hope he's right. Yesterday was interesting. It was snowing quite heavily by the time I left at 6:15 yesterday morning. I decided to go into town earlier than usual to get ahead of the snow. I stopped and had a coffee and read the paper before heading into work. By 8:00 it was pretty miserable outside. Fortunately I only had to drive two people yesterday. Most folks had called in on Wednesday and rescheduled their service appointments for another day, in anticipation of the storm. Just about everything on the island was closed yesterday, except of course us.  Even the other car dealerships were closed for the day. I'm not sure that it was worthwhile for us to be open. I'm sure it cost more for us all to be there than what was earned. But that's not my decision.

Later in the afternoon the snow turned to freezing rain so that just made a messy situation worse. Caitlin had been driven to work at the sporting goods store by her dad and even they closed part way through the afternoon, something they rarely do. So she just went over to her brothers and I picked her up and gave her a ride home. It worked out well.  I did ask if I could leave early so that at least I was driving in the daylight and it was around 4:30 by the time I got away.  The worst part of the drive was from Fort Augustus to my house. The wind seemed to pick up quite suddenly and it was just starting to get dark but I made it.  There is a lot of snow drifted around the house and I can't find my shovel. It's not the first time the wind has carried it off. Knowing that happens from time to time, you would think I would be smart enough to bring the thing inside but......NO, not me! So I will have to either pick up another one in town today or use the mini one that's in my trunk. I need to dig a path to the wood pile, and because we had freezing rain on top of the snow, the little snowblower I have just won't do it. Oh well, it will be good exercise for a Saturday afternoon.

It's hard to believe we are at the end of January already. I will be away for 9 days out of February and before we know it, spring will be here! The days are already getting longer so spring must be just around the corner!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment