Monday, January 17, 2011

It's a cold and blustery day after a beautiful weekend



Conditions at 5:15 am - very windy and -10' with a wind chill of -21' and drifting snow
Expected later - more of the same but warming up to -8'

It's a cold and blustery day, not at all like what we experienced on the weekend.
Let's see, Friday was not too bad. After supper I went over to Brenda's to help plan what we were going to eat on Saturday. We decided on Greek Souvlaki, with a Village Salad on the side.

Saturday turned out to be a beautiful day. The sun was shining and it was way too
nice to have to work. Brenda met me at Timothy's at 7:45 for coffee, but alas, they weren't open yet, so we had to go to Starbucks. Next week we'll meet in Stratford at Robins, as Brenda's Saturday Ufit class is in Stratford so that only makes sense. All day the sun shone and it was lovely to sit in the sunshine at my desk. At the end of the day I headed straight home so I could take the dog outside, and also replenish my wood supply inside. I had a little time to just chill out before going back out. Bernie and Brenda's friend Bob came over and joined us. I didn't go over until around 6:30 and Brenda had everything well under control. The salad was made, the lamb was marinated, the filling was made for the appetizers and a lovely cake was baked for dessert. My contribution to the event was really quite minimal and Brenda did a great job. When I arrived we filled and rolled the phyllo triangles and threaded the lamb onto the skewers. When Bob arrived, we baked off the triangles and they were a huge hit. They had a filling of chopped red pepper, feta cheese, oregano and an egg. They were very delicious, I would definitely make those again. Then we cooked the lamb and filled the warm pitas with the meat after smearing them first with some tzatziki. They were then wrapped in waxed paper to help with the eating and the salad was tossed. By all accounts it was a great succcess. The cake was a recipe Brenda found in a Saltscapes magazine and it was delicious. Yet another fabulous Friday Feast (okay so it was on Saturday) but a lovely time was had by all.

Sunday morning I got up early and accomplished a few things around the house. I got laundry done and did some work on Lloyd's quilt. Then at 11:00 Brenda picked me up to go and visit with Sheila, who is actually a neighbour who has three weaving looms in her house. She will be a wonderful resource. I was able to see her looms set up and get an idea of how mine should be put together. Sheila plans to put some threads on hers in the next couple of weeks and she will let me know so I can come and watch and see how it's done. She has a blanket that she made years ago when she was taking a class and it's absolutely gorgeous!

Trails at Stanhope
By the time we left her house, the sun was shining again and Brenda and I headed over to Stanhope to check out the trails there. They were okay in some spots but others that have a canopy of trees over them had very little snow, less than an inch in spots. We could now understand why they said there wasn't enough snow to groom the trails yet. But it was still great to get out there. They facilities
The facilities at Dalvay
there are not as good as over at Dalvay so we got into the truck and drove over there to have our well deserved snack of hot chocolate and left over cake. By the time I got home I had time for a nice hot bath and a nap before Brenda called to tell me that we were curling at 8:00 and NOT 9:30 as we thought. So it was rush around to get ready and grab a bite to eat before leaving.

Unfortunately we got out butts kicked last night. We managed to score one point all night. There is such a fine line between throwing the rock too hard and not hard enough and we just couldn't find it last night. But we still managed to have some fun and the driving was good in spite of some drifting in spots. I've decided I'm not going to go for the second half of the season because I will miss more than I'll be there for. It seems like a waste of money and we found someone who will fill in for me on our team. Brenda will still continue to go and try to keep the other team mates under control!

I saw this quote  the other day so went on line in search of it. I absolutely love it:

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says "Oh shit, she's awake." 

No comments:

Post a Comment