Monday, January 31, 2011

A very relaxing weekend


Conditions at 5:00 am: -9' and light snow
Expected later: -14' and sun and then much colder tonight



This was a very quiet weekend. Friday night I did nothing at all. I came home from work, made something to eat and then vegged in front of the TV. Saturday morning I got up early and met Brenda in town for coffee before going to work. After work I came home and spent the afternoon filling up my wood supply inside. I had run out earlier in the week so that was my first priority. It was an absolutely gorgeous afternoon. The sun was very bright and there was no wind. By the time I finished with the wood, I was actually tempted to get out a lawn chair and sit outside for a while. It was so nice, and I was glad to have had the chance to spend some time outside, even if it was work.  But I was also  tired by then so it was pretty much a repeat of Friday night - make something to eat and then watch some TV. I had called the lady down the road who has the weaving looms as she had mentioned that she might be putting some wool on hers this weekend. But her plans had changed so that was out of the equation. Instead I called Brenda and told her I could go skiing on Sunday.

Three views of the trails at Brookvale
 Sunday morning dawned bright and sunny, again, with no wind. I did a few things around the house in the morning then went over to her house around 10:30. We decided to go out to Brookvale and try their trails. It was very busy there, as the cadets from PEI and Nova Scotia were participating in a biathlon. However, there were very few people on the particular trail that we used. It's considered an easy  trail but it's got several small hills and is a total of  4.3 km. It was the same one Patti and I took the kids on last March. We found that by the time we got back to the lodge, we were ready to quit. It was a good work out and a beautiful day to be out in the woods.

On our way back home we stopped at her cousin Maureen's house. She was working but her husband George was home. He's doing some remodeling in their kitchen and Brenda totally messed up his day by suggesting an alternative to what he had planned. Now he's got to rethink parts of his project!

A quick stop at Riverside Market and then home. I did a couple of little jobs outside then heated up some soup that I had made earlier in the day. It was actually quite good, but then it was from our favorite soup cookbooks by Anne Lindsay. It has smoked sausages, green lentils, carrots and potatoes in it. It's a very hearty soup and quite tasty and made enough to pretty much last me all week. I'm trying to use up everything in the fridge before I leave on Friday so this will be good for quick and easy suppers.

After supper (or rather, during supper) I watched a couple of movies and then went off to bed early. A pretty uneventful weekend but those are good to have once in a while. This morning I got an email from Patti with this picture of Lloyd and the kids and the cake they made for his birthday. I know he's very glad to be able to spend time with them. He was afraid he might lose that connection once I was gone but that has surely not been the case.

Looks like I missed a party!





No comments:

Post a Comment