Monday, January 24, 2011

Okay, I wimped out


Conditions at 5:15:  -19' with a wind chill of -32'
Expected later: warming up to -16' but still windy

It's a chilly one this morning. It was cold all weekend and is expected to stay that way until Thursday when the high will be +1'. So we just have to bear with it for a few days. If I recall we had one week like this last year and the rest of the winter was quite bearable.

Friday nights drive home was interesting. Snow started falling after lunch and by the time I left to go home, there was quite a bit on the roads, and it was quite windy, causing whiteout conditions every so often. It took almost an hour to get home (although I did stop for gas, and just took my time). Then over night it turned to rain, and then back to freezing again. By morning the sun was shining brightly, and the glare off the ice on the road was almost blinding!  I walked (or rather slid) down to the end of the driveway, where the car was parked, and there had not yet been any sand put onto our road yet. I could have put my skates on and gotten out to the main road easier than driving. So I made the executive decision to stay home. I called Jamie at work and told him. He said they could manage quite nicely without me. Of course, later in the morning Brenda called Honda to ask me to pick something up on my way home. Imagine her surprise to find out I wasn't there. Needless to say, I took a bit of a ribbing about being a wimp, and rightly so. But I'm a wimp who's in one piece!  They did eventually come around with the sander at 10:00 but at that point it was too late to consider going to work.

I did, however, make it out on Saturday night to go to the Van Gaal's for supper. Roast pork dinner was a much tastier option than I would have had a home. It was quite delicious. The roads were still quite icy but the most challenging part was their driveway. But as Bernie says, it's all good.

Sunday morning was still cold but not windy, so it was actually quite nice out, except that everything was so icy. We knew that skiing was likely going to be a challenge so we passed on that. Instead we headed into town after lunch, once the stores were open. We traveled all around the city checking out all kinds of dollar stores, discount stores, Walmart and Michael's until Brenda had looked at far too much paper and stickers. We were planning on going to a movie at 2:50 and we happened to look at my phone to see what time it was at Michael's and it was exactly 2:50. So we raced out of there and across the street to the theatre. We got there just in time to see The King's Speech. It was really enjoyable. After it was over, we went to Papa Joe's for supper as we still had a gift certificate left from Community School.  We had a lovely dinner before heading back out to the county.

At one point I commented to Brenda that she wasn't wearing her Bean Boots. She has these amazing boots that she got for Christmas a year ago. They are very cool and every time we're out, someone always comes up to her and comments to her how much they like her boots. They are very warm as well as very functional and stylish. She has gotten so many compliments on them from complete strangers. Well, last night when I got home I went to the LL Bean web site and they have all kinds of winter boots but I could not find any like hers. I don't know if they don't make them anymore but I was certainly a little disappointed to not find them. I would have considered ordering a pair. I suppose they might have them in their store but usually you can get more choices online than you can in store. Needless to say I was sad to see they were not available.

Before I go, a quick belated Happy Birthday to my friend Jana. I intended to call her yesterday but I got into town and forgot all about it. Better late than never I suppose. I will email her my best wishes this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment