Friday, January 21, 2011

Winter's back!


Conditions at 5:15 am - a little cloudy, a full moon and -10'
Expected later:  -1' and up to 10 cm of snow

 The weather network has all kinds of warnings and alerts for us this morning - high winds, heavy snow, weather bombs - in other words, just another winter day here in the Maritimes. But I don't think we're going to be as bad off as other places. At least that's what we're hoping. The drive in this morning should be fine and tonight might not be too bad, but tomorrow morning could be a bit of a challenge. But we'll just have to wait and see.

I always feel bad for the two guys who work in our wash bay. On really snowy days they have to clean off all the cars, and once the plow has cleaned the lot in between the rows they then have to move every single car onto the cleaned area, so the plow can clear where the cars were, and then they have to all be moved back. What a pain in the butt job that must be. But I suppose it's a job, just like any other. They both take very good care of me. When I need gas for the shuttle, I just bring in the keys and they take it to the gas station and fill it up. When it needs washing, they take it inside and wash it for me. Andy was so cute on Monday morning. He brought the car out of the shop, where it gets parked overnight, and brought me the keys. He was very proud of the fact that he had washed it before bringing it out, and then had left it running outside so it would be warm. It was very thoughtful of him and I truly appreciated it. Then when I got into it to drive the first customer, I noticed it was almost out of gas. So when I got back I went to him and said, it's warm and it's clean but I can't get far without gas. He just rolled his eyes and said he didn't think to look at the gas gauge.  So a few minutes later he stopped by my desk to pick up the keys to go gas up and as he walked away, he said "This is going to cost you --- a dozen chocolate chip cookies". So a couple of nights later I baked cookies for him. I'd done that a Christmas as he and Jon had carted all the Christmas stuff upstairs for me after taking it all down. Apparently they were a hit.  But it's a small price to pay for good help!

Everyday this island gets smaller and smaller. Yesterday a man called to speak to Dave but he was out. I asked if I could take a message and it turned out to be someone I knew at the University. Apparently he is also Dave's brother in law. Then yesterday the fellow I was selling some tickets to came in to pick them up and we got talking. He's a lobster fisherman over in Grand Tracadie. I was telling him about the time we stayed at a cottage near by and it turns out his father and grandfather built those cottages back in the sixties.  We had bought some lobsters from boats when we were there and there's a very good chance it was him who sold them to us. Six degrees of separation is only about a degree and a half here on the island!

How this for a cool birthday cake!
 Since I don't usually do a post on the weekend, I must wish Lloyd a very Happy Birthday tomorrow. It is also our good friend Doug's birthday, so Happy Birthday to the two of you




 

No comments:

Post a Comment